1. How long will it take to receive my order and how many copies can I obtain?

Current processing and delivery time may vary by state or certificate. In most cases, it is approximately 5 to 7 business days (excludes weekends and holidays). Additional delivery times apply if you choose to have the certificate delivered by regular mail. Detailed delivery times will be listed on the application.

You may request up to 5 copies of a vital record per order through this website. Additional fees will apply.

2. What is a maiden name or legal name change?

A maiden name is your last name prior to marriage.

If you have had a legal name change, your vital records will be changed to reflect this. Use your current legal name to apply. Please note that assuming your spouse’s last name is not a legal name change.

3. Can I order anyone’s vital record?

Birth Records

In most cases, access to birth certificates is restricted for 125 years from the date of birth. Copies of birth certificates more than 125 years old can be obtained by anyone who can provide sufficient search information. Copies of birth certificates less than 125 years old may be obtained by the person named on the certificate if 14 years of age or older, parent or legal guardian, spouse, child, sibling or legal representative.

Marriage Records

In most cases, Copies of marriage records may be obtained by anyone who can provide sufficient search information.

Death Records

In most cases, death certificates are confidential records with restricted access for 25 years from the date of death. Copies of death certificates more than 25 years old may be obtained by anyone who can provide sufficient search information. Copies of death certificates less than 25 years old may be obtained by the decedent's mother or father, spouse, child, sibling, legal representative of family or estate, or informant listed on death certificates as providing information.

Divorce Records

In most cases, copies of divorce records may be obtained by anyone who can provide sufficient search information.

4. Is the certificate an official document & can it be used for a passport application?

Yes. All certificates ordered through this website are certified photocopies of the original record with the embossed seal from the state issued.

A certified copy of a birth certificate is accepted by all state and federal agencies as legal proof of birth and citizenship. It can typically be used for travel, passport, proof of citizenship, social security, driver's license, school registration, personal identification and other legal purposes.

A certified copy of a marriage certificate can typically be used as proof of marriage and other legal purposes. This is not a copy of the marriage license.

A certified copy of a death certificate can typically be used to obtain death benefits, claim insurance proceeds, notify social security and other legal purposes.

A certified copy of a divorce certificate can typically be used as proof of divorce and other legal purposes. This is not a copy of the divorce decree.

5. Can I cancel an order or change information on my order?


Submitted incorrect information? Please email us as soon as possible at support@usvitalrecords.org.


We are a service oriented business, committed to the highest quality in customer service. We cannot provide refunds or cancel an application for any of our services as all vital record applications are reviewed and processed upon receipt.

6. How much does it cost to order a vital record and what are the fees?

Pricing will vary depending on the state the certificate is issued from, to review the costs of ordering your vital records, please navigate our website to the appropriate state and consult the pricing chart listed on the certificate page/the bottom of the application.

7. What if I don’t have all of the information to complete the order form?

The government agency issuing your certificate requires certain information to process your request. If you cannot obtain the information required, you may wish to discuss this in person or by mail with the vital records office responsible for the certificate.

City not listed: Based on information from the United States Postal Service, some cities no longer exist and they may have been replaced with a new name or joined with a neighboring city or town.

If the city where the event occurred is not listed in the drop down list, you can use the link below to the United States Postal Service web site to verify if the city has changed their name or has joined with a neighboring city:

United States Postal Service
1. Enter the city and the two letter state abbreviation.
2. Click on the submit button.

County not listed: One helpful online resource in narrowing your search is Zipinfo.com's Free Zip Code Lookup. Follow the instructions below:

1. Click on the box that says "county name and FIPS code".
2. Enter the city and the state below in the field below (i.e. Buffalo, NY).
3. Click "go".

The county and other details will be displayed on the following page.

8. What name do I use if adoption was involved?

Use adoptive names, unless there has been a legal name change.

9. How do I obtain the status of my order?

Please contact us at support@usvitalrecords.org to obtain an update on your order.


Our online service is open to the legal profession and general public to obtain original certified copies of state vital records. Vital certificates and forms may be ordered from the relevant government agency for free or a lesser cost. No visit to the government agency is required through USVitalRecords.org's online ordering service. The online processing fee is for the cost of providing a secure online ordering service, expert assistance and thorough review of all pertinent information to ensure compliance with government rules and regulations.